Orthodontics is a special branch of dentistry whose focus is on correcting teeth and jaws that are not positioned properly. Crooked or crowded teeth are harder to clean properly, so they are more prone to cavities. Misaligned teeth or bad bites are referred to as malocclusion. There are different types of malocclusion that can be corrected with orthodontic treatment. These include:
– Underbite – The lower teeth come in front of the upper teeth when one bites down.
– Overbite – This is sometimes called “buck teeth.” The upper teeth sit too far in front of the lower teeth, or stick out.
– Crossbite – When one or more of the upper teeth sit inside of the lower teeth when one bites down. A crossbite can occur in the front and/or sides of the mouth.
– Open bite – When the back teeth come together, there is a space between the side and/or front teeth.
– Gaps – Missing teeth or teeth that just don’t fill the space in the jaw cause spaces or gaps between the teeth.
– Crowding – When there is not sufficient room in the jaw for the teeth, the teeth may sit to close together or overlap.
– Misplaced Midline – The center of the lower front teeth does not line up with the center of your upper front teeth properly.
If you or your child are suffering from malocclusion, Dr. Wilson, Dr. Cowley, and our team can help you reach a healthy, straight smile! Keep in mind that even if you don’t notice malocclusion in your smile or your child’s smile, there may still be a slight alignment issue that can be treated by our orthodontists.
Please contact Orthodontics, Inc. at (505) 325-8858 today for more information about orthodontics in Farmington, New Mexico, and to set up an appointment with our orthodontists.